Cycling has become a popular way to pace yourself to travel around Japan, particularly in some suburb regions. Locating south of shikoku Japan, Kochi is the largest and considered the most remote prefecture in Shikoku region. It is well known for the mountains, rivers and the Pacific coastline. Cycling is one of the best way to explore the city and some suburban areas.
1) Shimanto River（四萬十）
Stretching 196 km south of Kochi, the Shimanto River is the longest river in Shikoku region, and is considered the most crystal clear stream in Japan Surrounded by the serene and beautiful nature. The most intriguing feature of this river is the 22 chinkabashi (ubmersible bridges) designed without guardrail, allowing debris to flow through when the water level is high during rainy season. This fascinating feature is a major attraction to travellers.
For the experienced cyclists, you may cycle from Ekawasaki Station (江川崎駅) to JR Nakamura Station （中村駅）or vice versa. If it is a day trip, please make sure you return your bike before the rental shop closes. For a easy ride half day cycling experience, you may rent a bike from any bike rental shops or the Tourist Information Center near JR Nakamura Station （中村駅) and visit one, two or three chinkabashi bridges. It is suggested that you get off the bike and push it through the bridges since there are quite a lot of accidents. No joking, I have witnessed someone fell onto the river with a bike!
2) Free Bike Rental in Kochi City
Now you may rent a bicycle and go around the city center of Kochi, visiting the Kochi Castle, Hirome market and Harimaya Bridge. Below is the list of places where you can rent a bike for FREE!
1) Kochi Tourist Information Center TOSATERRACE right outside of JR Kochi Station (8:30am to 4:00pm).
3) Orient Hotel Kochi (for hotel guests only)
4) Kochi Green Hotel Harimayabashi (for hotel guests only)
5) Kochi Sunrise Hotel (for hotel guests only)
6) Seven Days Hotel (for hotel guests only)
7) Petit Hotel Kochi (for hotel guests only)
8) Hotel Nikko Kochi (for hotel guests only)
9) Hotel No.1 Kochi (for hotel guests only)
10) Hotel Town Honmachi (for hotel guests only)
11) Hotel Minatoya (for hotel guests only)
Comments are closed.